History of Navgrah Mandir
Khargone or Khargaon Town is known for the 250 years old temple called Navgrah Mandir- “The temple of nine planets”. The foundation of this 250 years old temple was done by Shree Sheshappa Sukhawadhani Weragkar. The popularity of Navgrah mandir had made the name of Khargaon town as “Navgraha Ki Nagri”. The temple of nine planets is situated near the Kunda River.
The temples first floor contains the idols of Lord Rama, Goddess Sita, Lord Hanuman, Lord Laxman, Bharat, Goddess Saraswati, Shatrughana and Paanchmukhi Mahadev. The Hindu temples have Garbhagriha Sthali which means the innermost sanctum of the temple where the murti of temple is established also contains Suryanarayana and Surya Yantra. The Parikrama Sthali part of the temple consists of all planets named Moon, Mangal, Budh, Guru, Shukra, Shani, Rahu and Ketu along with their Vahans, Madals and Yantras. Pitambara Graha Shanti Peeth consists of Goddess Baglamukhi and Brahmastra. Surya Darshan Pooja, Aaradhana and rituals are being performed on the day of Makar Sankranti for the pacification of the nine planets also called as Navagrah Shanti.
The very famous Navgraha Mela is being celebrated in the month of January/February to please the Lord Shani and all the nine planets. People from very far distances come to this Mela to rectify all their problems and to live a happy life.
At the east of Kunda River, in the southwest of the Madhya Pradesh in the West Nimar district there lies the Khargaon town. From the time of Mughals this temple had hold the very important significance and also contains the old forts with several tombs and palaces. The Khargone town is also known as “Peetambara Graha Shanti Peeth” because the Goddess Baglamukhi resides in the temple of Navgrah.
Temple’s existence for such long period is based on the mantra according to Pandit Lokesh Jagirdar. The sacred mantra is :-
“Brahma Murari Tripurantkari, Bhanu Shashi Bhumisuto Budhasch !!
Gurusch Shukra Shani Rahu Ketuvah Sarve Graha Shanti Kara Bhavantu !!”
Pandit Lokesh Jagirdar also says that Lord Brahma in the form of �����Goddess Saraswati”, Tipurantkari in the form of “Shree panchmukhi Mahadev” and Lord Murari in the form of “Shree Ram” resides in the temple. Lord Surya on the chariot of seven horses and Siddha Ashtadal Suryayantra resides in the Suryanarayan temple. Lord Buddha, Shukra and Moon resides towards the east of Parikrama Sthali, while towards the south resides Mangal and towards the North resides Jupiter and towards the west there is Rahu, Shani and Ketu. All planets are being set in the proper position and according to the principal of Navgrah Dosha Nivaran yantra. The main speciality of the Navgrah Mandir is the Lord Surya- God of all the planets and is the only temple in whole India for the Lord Surya.
During the Makar Sankranti people visit this temple and pray for the appeasement of the planets and can also perform the rituals for the particular planet which corresponds to the particular God like
- For Sun Lord Rama is worshipped
- For Moon Panchmukhi Mahadev is worshipped
- For Mangal Purvamukhi Hanuman is worshipped
- For Budh Lord Ganesha is worshipped
- For Guru Lord Dattatreya is worshipped
- For Shukra Goddess Laxmi is worshipped
- For Shani Balabhairav is worshipped
- For Rahu Goddess Sarawati is worshipped
- For Ketu Nagdevta is worshipped.
The main pooja that is done to get rid of all negative and harmful effects is Baglamukhi pooja and this pooja is being performed in the Navgrah Temple.
The popularity of Navgrah Mandir is for:-
- The three pillars which represents the God Brahma, Vishnu, Mahesh.
- On the entrance of the Mandir there are seven stairs that represents the seven days of the week.
- Twelve stairs to go down to the Garba Graha represents all the twelve Rashis.
- Twelve stairs to come up from the Garbha Graha represents the twelve months.
- Lord Sun is the main God in this temple.
- From the Garbha Graha the sun rays passes through the Surya Yantra and falls on the Rath of the Lord Surya.
- The starting of worship is from Brahma, Vishnu and Mahesh and ending of worship is also with the Brahma, Vishnu and Mahesh.
- This place is the residence of all Gods representing nine planets.
- Goddess Baglamukhi also resides in this temple.