The Chaitra Navratri Puja is observed in the month from March to April and is also known as Chaitra month. This Navratri Puja is observed in the North region of India according to traditional Hindu calendar. This year the Chaitra Navratri will start from the 31st March and will end on 8th of April. This festival is dedicated to three most powerful goddess – Maa Durga, Maa Saraswati and Maa Lakshmi. The Chaitra Navratri ends on the day of Ram Navami. There are different names of Chaitra Navratri like Basant Navratri, Ram Navratri, Spring Navratras etc.
The chaitra navratri is celebrated when the climate change is observed. The chaitra Navratri also marks the beginning of the summer season. It is also believed that keeping fasts during the Chaitra navratri makes the individual body prepared for the summer season. The important temple fairs occur in the North region of India. This navratri is celebrated more in Uttarakhand, Punjab, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh and other regions of North India.
Chaitra Navratri Dates
- Ghatsthapana (31 March, 2014) : This day marks the beginning of the nine days festival. This day is considered to be the day when the Shakti of the Goddess is invocated. The Ghatsthapana should be done at appropriate time otherwise the Goddess may get angry. The Mahurat to perform the Ghatsthapana is 06:16:28 to 10:22:28.
- Sindhara Dooj (1st April,2014) : On this day the unmarried form of Goddess Parvati named as Goddess Brahmacharini is worshipped. It is believed that Goddess Brahmacharini, governs the planet Mangal, which provides the fortunes to the individuals.
- Gaur Teej Saubhagya Teej (2nd April, 2014) : On this day the married form of Goddess parvati named as Goddess Chandraghanta is worshipped.
- Varadvinayak Chaturthi (3rd April, 2014)
- Lakshmi Panchami (4thApril, 2014) : On this day Goddess Lakshmi is worshipped in order to maintain the wealth and property in the life.
- Yamuna Jayanti (5thApril, 2014) : This day is celebrated as the birth anniversary of Goddess Yamuna as on this day Goddess descended on the Earth. This day is generally celebrated in Mathura and Vrindavan.
- Vijaya Saptami (6thApril, 2014) : Goddess Kalaratri is worshipped on this day, as the Goddess fought with the devils and removed all the evils from the earth. It is also believed that Goddess also governs the planet Shani.
- Sri Durga Mahaashtami, Annapurna Ashtami (7thApril, 2014) : On this day Goddess Durga is being worshipped and people believing in Maa Durga keep the long day fasts. This day also falls in the Shardiya Navratri.
- Ram Navami (8thApril, 2014) : Lord Rama was born in the month of Chaitra during Shukla Paksha. The Ram Navami Puja Muhrat is from 11:08:01 to 13:38:19. This day marks the end of the Chaitra Navratri Puja.